Aesica signs new supply agreement with Amdipharm

UK-based supplier of APIs, formulated products and custom synthesis solutions Aesica Pharmaceuticals has entered into a new multi-year supply agreement with Amdipharm. Under the new contract Aesica will provide manufacturing and packaging services for several of Amdipharm's leading products for supply to worldwide markets.

UK-based supplier of APIs, formulated products and custom synthesis solutions Aesica Pharmaceuticals has entered into a new multi-year supply agreement with Amdipharm. Under the new contract Aesica will provide manufacturing and packaging services for several of Amdipharm's leading products for supply to worldwide markets.

Initially, the products covered include Erythrocin (erythromycin), Hytrin (terazosin) and Loftyl (buflomedil), and the range is likely to expand in the future.

Manufacturing operations are carried out at Aesica's finished dosage pharmaceutical production facility located in Queenborough, Kent. The site is equipped with extensive process technologies including capabilities for the manufacture of solid and liquid dosage forms, anaesthetics, controlled drugs; and facilities for packaging in blisterpacks, sachets and bottles. Aesica's support to Amdipharm includes analytical, regulatory and supply chain services.

"We have worked hard to ensure the smooth transfer of the new Amdipharm products into the Queenborough site," said Adam Sims, commercial director of Aesica. "We are proud of our record of handling the complex multi-country supply and the wide range of product volumes."

SAP integration

Aesica recently completed a successful SAP project, which evolved in response to the company's growing need to support its acquisitions programme. The company's goal was to integrate the SAP system within a very aggressive 12-month timeline.

Since its creation through an MBO in 2004, Aesica has acquired a site from Merck Sharp & Dohme in 2006, located at Ponders End, North London, and another from Abbott in 2007 based in Queenborough. "Managing information is key when acquiring other sites and companies," said Aesica's Head of IT, Bhavesh Kotecha. "We had to ensure we have common policies and processes."

During the past few years the company used a number of ERP systems. Last year it established its need for a new ERP system and opted for the IBM Express Life Science solution, tailored for the pharmaceuticals industry, with embedded best-practice processes and controls. Aesica used a standard template from IBM, which provided 85% of the functionality required by the business, leaving 15% customisation work.

The successful completion of the data migration and standardisation on SAP best-practice processes and applications has enabled Aesica to integrate and understand acquired businesses rapidly. The integrated components allow it to provide consolidated reports from multi-site activities, helping Aesica discover production and process efficiencies.

Companies