Novasep and GTP Technology link up to ease production of mAbs and recombinant proteins

Partnership offers biotech firms full CDMO services at all development stages from gene to end product

Novasep, a supplier of services and technologies for the life sciences industry, is to partner GTP (Gene-to-Proteins) Technology in a project which combines the firms' expertise in monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) production.

The two French firms aim to facilitate the development of therapeutic and diagnostic candidates for European biopharmaceutical clients.

GTP, a contract research and development organisation (CDMO) providing recombinant protein and process development services, brings its expertise in producing mAbs at the proof-of-concept/discovery and early clinical stages to the table. Novasep will provide expertise and plant facilities for late-stage production.

The partnership particularly targets mAb production for orphan drugs, ADCs and diagnostics.

Novasep and GTP are making mAbs production more flexible by offering customers the required scales for orphan drugs and fast-track projects

'Together, Novasep and GTP are making mAbs production more flexible by offering customers the required scales for orphan drugs and fast-track projects,' said Alain Lamproye, President of Novasep's Biopharma Business Unit.

'When time is of the essence, it is vital to facilitate the transfer from early- to late-stage production. The combined depth and breadth of our expertise, along with our trusted resources, will bring a range of first-rate services that is of true benefit to our customers.'

GTP has long-standing experience developing production processes and operates non-GMP bioreactors up to a 50L scale. This complements Novasep’s capacity of 50L, 200L and 1,000L for cGMP production, suitable for production scales of 1–10kg per year.

'Monoclonal antibody-related products represent more than 30% of the approved biological drugs. In 2014, these products had total sales of approximately US$84bn (EUR76.5bn). The majority (77%) of these sales are attributed to full length unconjugated antibodies, with the remainder (23%) attributed to other antibody-related products,' commented Howard Levine, President and CEO at BioProcess Technology Consultants.

Companies