Senior Scientist — Thermal Analysis
We have a fantastic role as Senior Scientist - Physical Sciences which will be responsible for providing leading a team and providing technical direction within the Physical Sciences. This role primarily focuses on the conduct of routine and investigative characterisation of a wide range of raw materials and finished products, with elements of method development and validation as required. The main areas of expertise preferred for the role are in the following techniques; thermal analysis (DSC/TGA), powder flow (shear cell), specific surface area (BET) and Dynamic Vapour Sorption (DVS). Line management and training/coaching of junior members of the team will be required.
- Provide high quality customer service at all times by ensuring effective organisation of assigned workload, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results.
- Provide technical direction within own area of expertise within the team and to stakeholders.
- Independently perform a range of analysis using instruments such as; Malvern Mastersizer 2000’s/3000’s, Brookfield PFT shear cell, Surface Measurement Systems DVS, Mettler DSC/TGA, Micromeritics Tristar.
- Perform complex method development, prepare validation protocols and conduct validation studies.
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting of lab equipment.
- Perform data checking and peform interpretation of results for routine and complex testing.
- Generate certificates of analysis and/or interpretive scientific reports or presentations.
- Proficient in the use of generic and specific software packages require for the role: e.g. Laboratory’s LIMS system, Q-Pulse.
- Provide training and supervise junior staff in routine activities, methods and interpretation within areas of your expertise.
- Take responsibility for elements of specific projects and/or specific areas of general laboratory/sample administration and assign housekeeping tasks as required.
- Provide training and supervise junior staff in routine activities, methods and interpretation.
- Take responsibility for elements of specific projects and/or specific areas of general laboratory/sample administration tasks as required.
- Will be expected to work in different laboratories if the demand is required.
Communication & Influence
- Work as part of an efficient analytical team.
- To liase with clients, business development and line management to ensure effective communication of project proposals and results.
- Participate in client and stake holders meetings as required.
- Deliver internal presentations across groups and to technical stakeholders.
- Manage small projects (e.g. one off or short term analyses) or defined areas of larger projects (e.g. stability studies, multilab projects or business critical priorities).
Leadership and supervision
- Plan own workload and plan routine projects for junior staff.
- Train junior members of the team as required.
- Line manage a small team (2 to 3) of Scientists and Technicians (or similar level) if required.
- Work to the highest standards of safety and quality by ensuring that appropriate COSHHs, risk assessments and SOPs are understood and followed.
- To complete assigned quality actions in a timely manner, including review and approval.
- Write and approve SOPs and Test Methods.
- Generate and review Risk Assessments and COSHH.
- To maintain a clean, tidy and safe working environment.
- To understand and work to the requirements of GMP and UKAS.
- Ensure training records are accurate.
- Educated to Degree or PhD in a relevant scientific discipline or equivalent relevant experience in a laboratory.
- Excellent understanding and practical experience of basic/advanced lab equipment and their application.
- Good knowledge or laboratory quality and accreditation systems (GLP, GMP, UKAS).
- Scientific understanding and ability to independently conduct and interpret physicochemical analysis within area(s) of expertise.
- Extended experience of working within a relevant scientific field.
- Post graduate experience working for a commercial laboratory (CRO).
- Analytical Project management.
- English fluency (written and spoken) and excellent verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate with clients and colleagues.
- Computer skills in standard MS Office Applications.
Click here to find out more or apply: www.rssl.com/why-choose-rssl/careers